Thursday, April 25, 2013

Baby William

Well, he's here!  Our sweet #4 is here.  We decided I should probably get induced a few days early since I labor so fast.  For those of you that just rolled your eyes and scoffed at the idea of induction.....you've obviously never just about had a baby on the freeway and leaving your house after your 2nd contraction...not hours of contractions.  So rather than risk an at home delivery I thought I'd play it safe. We got the phone call about 9:00 in the morning on April 19th (just 4 days early) to come have the baby.  What a weird feeling that is!  Here's a picture of us all dolled up and ready to go!

 
They started me out on a very low dosage of pitosin (sp?).  After about 2 hours of not much happening they decided to up the dosage and then they pulled the old..."if you want an epidural you can get one now, or you'll have to wait an hour because the anesthesiologist will be in a surgery".  I was having painful contractions by then but not unbearable.  But since I did have Kate naturally I decided there really was no need to put myself through THAT again.  So I got the epidural.  

After a few minutes of it "kicking in" (and yes, this is the only time I will let Trav touch my feet...when they have absolutely no feeling in them) I heard and felt a "pop."  I didn't know if it had to do with the epidural and I was just commenting on it when my doctor came in and said she wanted to break my water to get things moving.  She checked me and sure enough, that "pop" was my water breaking.  Then about 20 minutes later I told the nurse I needed to push.  She had to hurry and page my doctor again, and within 3 contractions he was here!  The cord was wrapped around his neck twice, but my doctor said it didn't even bother the little guy and there were no negative side effects from that, but again...thank goodness I was at the hospital!  Now imagine if my water broke when I wasn't there?  Yeah, now you understand....

He cried but as soon as they laid him on me he calmed right down and was happy as can be.  He only started crying again when they took him 2 steps away to weigh and measure him.  Here's one of our first pictures....
 Trav commented that this is the only labor that I smiled the whole time.  I did have epidurals with Rach and Josh but this one was just doggone easy!  And he's been my biggest baby so  that's kind of strange.  He weighed 6 lbs 15 oz, 19 inches long, quite a bit of dark dark hair and 2 big dimples. He is seriously so cute!  Oh, and we named him William Brent Maughan.  We'll call him Will, and Brent is after my dad.


 I've also never had a baby during the day before.  He was born at 2:15pm.  All my others have been the middle of the night.  So that first night is always brutal...they wake you up a hundred times to take all your vitals and do this and that...then nobody can visit until the next day.  Well, with this one it was still day so I actually got a decent night's sleep that night because the vital check was down to every 4 hours.  And my kids got to come meet him that evening which was so cool.  They all absolutely adore him.  How couldn't you though?

 Here's my handsome boys....
 Our first family shot...


 I think Josh is actually the most excited.  He loves his little brother.  He was waiting so patiently for his turn to hold him, and once he got him, he didn't want to put him down.

 Our first dinner as a family of 6.  The kids liked eating in the hospital room with me.  Rach kept commenting how lucky I was to get to eat in bed.  Yeah, I am lucky!
 Now we've taken like a million pictures of this little guy so bear with me.  He's just so stinkin' cute!
 Our little burrito....
 The kids had made welcome home signs for William and I.  We both love them.







We are so lucky to have this sweet boy be a part of our family.  He so far is so calm and has been sleeping decently well.  He's eating pretty well even though nursing......oh nursing....how you hurt me so.  I know it's worth it and gets better with time.... But ouch!  I'm so happy that he's here! 

My sweet baby boy, welcome to the world and a little bit of insanity at the Maughan home.  I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love all these pictures. What a sweet little guy! -Jen

    ReplyDelete