Friday, April 8, 2016

It really is a Grand Canyon

For spring break this year we decided to knock something off the bucket list and go see the Grand Canyon. It was a very long drive but a fun little getaway. The pictures just don't do it justice for how amazing (and HUGE) this place is!
 The first night we got there it actually started snowing! But we were able to walk around a little bit and get some pictures of us all wishing we had brought warmer stuff.




 The next morning we started off on Bright Angel Trailhead. Notice how everyone is especially looking happy in this picture? The photographer (me) took one step back to fit everyone in and totally tripped....almost falling on my tush, but it was a very graceful save. At least I was backing up away from the drop off. That's one way to get everyone to smile!

 We even got to go through a few tunnels on this trail.
 NOT funny! It was a drop off right next to these boys! I was a nervous wreck the whole time. I thought talking about impending doom if you lay one toenail out of place would scare the kids enough to not even joke....but they have too much of their dad in them.

 Lucky Will got a ride the whole time! There wasn't one person that passed us by that didn't comment on that little boy and his super-tough daddy.
 We had to take lots of breaks....okay....mommy needed lots of breaks so everyone got a break waiting for her.
 These icicles didn't melt all day. It was cold in the shade!


 Lots of switchbacks....

 But if you happen to look up the sight was amazing!
 There was a group of mules that went down the canyon. They were nice enough to leave several "land mines" in the path.
 And as long as you have enough laffy taffy's this boy will be okay.


 What strong kids I have!



 Kate was riding her horsies.
 She also slipped more times than anyone else, so she had a dusty little tush.

 We stopped for lunch at the 3 mile rest stop (thank heavens they have some outhouses every so often because there's no where you could sneak off to "go.") The squirrels were a little too friendly here.

 This is looking up what we just came down and what we have to hike back up. 6 miles round trip! Go us!!
 But we knew better than to feed the squirrels because of the graphic education that was given to us on the trail.
 We ended up just throwing away Kate's socks because we knew there was NO way they'd ever be clean again after this trip.
 Will definitely wasn't the hardest one working but he does tucker out the fastest.
 I flipped his hat around because every time his head would bob it would whack Trav in the neck. When he did finally wake up he said "It's magic! My hat was like that but now it's like this!" He was so amazed.

 This was the hiking order for most of the hike: Kate, the leader....way out in front. Josh, Dad and William, Rach and then mommy huffing it at the end. I can't believe what good hikers my kids are! Every time we go on hikes we get comments from strangers about how awesome my kiddos are. I totally agree!
 After the hike Kate finally said she'd carry the pack for dad!

 We survived! The rest of the afternoon we took the shuttle to different lookout points so we wouldn't have to walk too far. Trav and I were SO sore we could barely walk anymore!!

 The kids somehow could still run, jump and play!



 One of the best parts was riding the shuttle.

 The next day we journeyed off to another hike. All smiles in the morning ready to go!
 This trail had some major switchbacks going on!
 I LOVE how we were all totally hugging the wall as we walked. It really was pretty scary how far you'd fall if you took a misstep.

 At one point on the trail Trav fell over and said he twisted his ankle and didn't think he'd be able to walk. I was entering freak out/ what-the heck-am-I-going-to-do/ there's-no-way-I-can-carry-him-out-of-here-I-can-barely-walk-myself mode! It was really scary. Then he and Rach started laughing and said "April Fool's!" They had it planned the whole time! Stinkers.

 I wish....
 We made it to this point that was called "oh ah point" (or something like that) because it was a great view.







 Here's "Bob" again. That's what all the squirrels are named in the Grand Canyon if you didn't know. Sorry dude, I saw the picture of the bloody hand. You're not getting anything from me!



 We survived the 2nd hike (it was under 2 miles) but I felt like I was 100 years old by the way I was walking! I'd like to blame it on pregnancy joints but I know it was more than that.

We then drove to some Indian sights. Some ruins and this picture is in the watchtower that was really awesome.



 If you ask the kids what their favorite part of the trip was they all whole-heartily agree that it was catching lizards. They never actually caught one but they spent over an hour trying while Trav and I were able to sit on a bench nearby, not too close to the edge, but with a gorgeous view. I think that was one of my favorite parts too.
 Driving back to the hotel an elk walked right in front of our car!There were elk everywhere. They were fun to see and it felt a little Yellowstone-ish.

That last morning Trav and I woke up early and went to the rim to watch the sunrise. I was surprised at how many people were there to see it! It was beautiful and an amazing sight to see how fast the sun comes up. Very cool.

 As we were starting the long journey back home I realized that we didn't have one family picture of all of us. So we had to stop one last time to get my picture.
 The ride was really long but the kids did SO well. They really are the best travelers which makes going places a lot more fun. Unfortunately the last 1 1/2 hours of the trip William wouldn't stop screaming. He kept saying his ears hurt, but it wasn't until we got home, I put him in the tub and he pooped out a huge log (in the bath, I might add) that he started feeling better. No complaints of ears ever since. Sorry...that's gross, I know...... But at least I didn't take a picture! You're welcome.

What a great spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment