Friday, May 8, 2015

The Homestead

Every year Trav's work has a "management retreat" at the Homestead in Midway. They invite the wives to come have a fancy dinner, get everyone a room to stay in at the Homestead, and even give the wives a giftcard to use either at the spa or the gift shop. I haven't been able to go the past couple years but it's usually really fun. We thought (ha ha) that it would be fun to bring the kids with us this time! It would be a fun little family getaway full of fun bonding time. We could run around, swim in the pool and see the crater. They are old enough now that they could survive and hour watching a movie in the room while we go have that fancy dinner. Nothing could have been further from the truth.<insert the dramatic music here>

It ended up being one of the most exhausting, brain wrenching, whiny, "retreats" ever! Which as I'm now looking back at these pictures they all seem pretty good so I guess I'll only remember the good parts. There were some.....I think..... 

After spending the day packing and repacking after William unpacked it all for me, and the dinner that everyone fought over in Park City, we finally made it to Midway. I do have to say though....that is one of the most beautiful places. I LOVE it there! We found daddy, took a few pictures....
 Climbed to the top of the crater.....
 This is on top of the crater....
 After the crater climb it was time to go get ready for dinner and pick a movie  for the kids to have their brains melt to. As we're walking back to the room Trav and Josh were doing "1...2...3...swing!" to William. After a couple of times doing it and him squealing "Again!"  He starts screaming his head off. Like, "I am in so much pain, what have you done to me?" screaming kind of pain. He wouldn't move his left arm at all. Great!  And being in gorgeous Midway there's isn't any sort of hospital or clinic nearby so I had to drive him to Heber to find an after hours clinic. We finally got to see the doctor and sure enough, he had a dislocated elbow. After one quick "Pop", a lot of screaming, and a sucker, he was as good as new.

When Will and I got back to the hotel room, the movie was almost over, Trav and I hadn't had dinner yet and it was almost 8:30pm so we really didn't think the fancy Nexus dinner was still happening. We decided to at least go try. When we got over there, dinner was still up! Most people were done with dessert, but they still hadn't cleared dinner away so we were in luck! Then it was back to the room where we almost immediately crashed!

The next day after breakfast, Trav had more meetings so the kids and I were planning on just playing around. My only task for the whole trip was to get some cute pictures of the kids that I could hang on the walls. That's all. The ONLY thing I ask.

So It started out like this....
 Cute, but someone was missing.

And I know Kate's smile is totally natural....but I don't know about hanging this one on the wall.
 We went over to see the fish and Rach dropped a dandelion in the water. Poor things thought it was food.
 They all attacked that dandelion and even drug it underwater. The Homestead needs to feed those fishies!
 Let's get a picture by the crater!
 Okay, fine, just go play in the water for a while until we're all happy. Are we having fun yet?

 Kate was eager to pose just about anywhere.
 William totally turfed it while walking through the bushes. He he!
 And here's the final shots!!! Miss Kate....

                                                 Mr. Josh.....
                                    
 
                                     Mr. Posey William...........


 
Okay Rach, give me your best smile!
 "Take a picture of me mom! I'll smile for you!" - Kate
 Okay, let's try again. Can you smile?
This is a little bit better.....
 A little too much....
 Getting closer.....
 Bingo! One shot! That's all we got. One shot of it looking like I wasn't torturing her to spend a free night at a hotel in one of the most beautiful places imaginable. One stinkin' shot. At least it's super cute. Now I can continue torturing.
 Should we try for a group shot or is that just pressing my luck?
 Can everyone look at me? Everyone, all at the same time?
 Yep, I was pressing my luck.
 At least they'll pose with the frog.
After spending all of our gift shop money on Beany Boo's and fudge we ate lunch, packed up, drove home, unpacked (all without daddy) and rushed off to Josh's soccer game. We missed team pictures but made it to the game in just the nick of time, then straight to Rachel's game after. It was good to come home from the retreat. It was way too stressful. The kids may or (most likely) may not, be invited to come again. We'll see....


2 comments:

  1. Holy moly!! Sounded kind of crappy!! I can't believe you had to go to the doctor in the middle of it all!! SHEESH! You managed to pull off some pretty amazing pictures though!! I'm jealous! I have yet to get the ones I want. So hats off to you. This post just proves again what a super woman you are!! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly!! Sounded kind of crappy!! I can't believe you had to go to the doctor in the middle of it all!! SHEESH! You managed to pull off some pretty amazing pictures though!! I'm jealous! I have yet to get the ones I want. So hats off to you. This post just proves again what a super woman you are!! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete