Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What would you do?

So, if you had one day with absolutely nothing to do, what would you do?  No kids to take care of, nothing you "have" to do, things that could be done but really don't have to be done right now?  Nowhere you needed to be, no one that depended on you.  Just for one day.  Seriously, what would you do?

Well, I had such a day yesterday.  My kids all slept at their cousins house and I didn't have to pick them up until 7:00pm.  Trav was at work, I had the whole house to myself for an entire day.  So many things ran through my mind with what I "should" do, but I wanted a day to do what I wanted to do.  No schedule, not strings, no commitments.  This is exactly how it went:

8:30am-- wake up, read scripures and read a little in my book
Go running
Eat breakfast
Get completely ready for the day with no interruptions
Talk on the phone
Took myself out to lunch
Went to Toys R Us for a couple birthday gifts and was in and out in 15 minutes
Made some brownies and licked the beaters myself
Turned on the t.v.  Daytime t.v. stinks.  After about 5 minutes turn it off and decide to go read my book some more out on the deck.
Relax and enjoy the peace and quiet
Pick Trav up from work and go out to dinner at Archibald's
Walk around Gardner Village for a little while
Go pick up the kids and pry them away from their cousins kicking and screaming

The best part of the day was actually sitting through 3 meals without having to get up once.  No spills, no refills, no nothing.  Just me eating my meal.   I don't know how many times I've said to myself "I would just like one day where I don't have to do everything for everyone!"  Well, I didn't.  I didn't even do one dish yesterday. I just stacked them up in the sink.  But the dishes were waiting for me today, and the kids needed me to refill their milk and help getting dressed and going potty and reading to them and playing with them and being the referee because someone hit someone and someone else put their toes too close to the other one. But "I want to sit by mommy!", "I don't want to sit by Josh!", "I need everything RIGHT NOW!"

But to tell you the truth, my day was lonely.  The house was quiet, the store was boring and I don't mind sharing brownie beaters (as long as I get some too).  I will take the chaos any day over days being lonely. It's good to have the kids home.......... But it is nice to have one day once in a while. 


1 comment:

  1. Heavenly! That's awesome. I had a day like that this last weekend and was actually really excited when my kids got home. I agree... the break is nice every now and then but it makes me realize one day the house will be quiet all the time. Made me appreciate my kids more.

    ReplyDelete